Studying in the US without a GRE trend on major search platforms, we aim to answer the question and explore related options.
What is the GRE? Study in the USA without GRE
For students doing their homework to enter universities in the United States, GRE or Graduate Record exams seem to be a prerequisite for almost any university there. The GRE, which is mandatory for many universities in the US and other countries such as Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand, seems to discourage many students because of the effort and time it takes to break these exams in an already high level of difficulty.
Another reason the GRE discourages students from applying to US universities is that a low GRE score destroys an otherwise good overall performance profile. It even adds to an already costly case because students have to bear the cost of attending exams and being sent to university.
But there is finally some good news for students who want to study in the US without GRE! There are some universities across the US that have dropped out of the GRE!
In this article, we will take a look at the universities and related courses that do not require a GRE score and the other requirements that they take into account.
Universities that do not require GRE Study in the USA without GRE
- California State University – Among the largest public university systems in the US, California State University is one of the top universities in the country with 23 campuses. It is one of the most popular options for studying in the USA without GRE. The top courses offered by California State University without the GRE requirement are MS in Civil Engineering, MS in Chemistry and MS in Mechanical Engineering.
- Purdue University Founded in 1869, Purdue is one of the most well-known public research universities in the United States for science and technology. It is located in West Lafayette, Indiana and is consistently ranked among the top 20 universities in the United States to study without GRE. The top courses at Purdue University that do not have a GRE requirement are MS in Computer Science, MS in Electrical & Computer Engineering, and MS in Ecological Sciences & Engineering.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Ranked among the top academic institutions in the world, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The university is considered a pioneer in the field of science, technology and engineering due to the key role it has played in research and progress over the last two centuries. The courses offered without GRE are MS in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, MS in Computational Science and Engineering and MS in Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Boston University – Founded in 1839, it is one of only 3 universities in Boston and Cambridge to be named after the renowned Association of American Universities. It belongs to the league of well-known universities for studies in the USA without GRE. Some of the courses at Boston University for which the GRE has been canceled are: MSc in Computer Information Systems, MSc in Applied Data Analysis, MSc in Robotics and Autonomous Systems and MSc in Bioinformatics.
- Northeastern University Another reputable private university in the Boston area is a popular choice for GRE-free study in the United States. Industrial Engineering and MS in Computer Systems Engineering.
- George Mason University A public university located in Fairfax County, Virginia, is ranked among the top 200 U.S. universities by the Wall Street Journal and the Times Higher Education. Founded in 1949, it became an independent university in 1972 and holds a high position in the preference of students to study in the US without GRE. The courses at George Mason University for which the GRE has been canceled are: MSc in Data Analysis Engineering, MSc in Applied and Mechanical Physics, MSc in Civil Engineering and Infrastructure Engineering and MSc in Health Informatics.
- Stevens Institute of Technology Founded in 1870, it is one of the oldest universities of technology in the United States and the first college in the country dedicated exclusively to engineering. This university has made the GRE an optional requirement for admission. Popular courses that do not require GRE are MS in Computer Science and MS in Information Systems.
Alternative requirements for the GRE Study in the USA without GRE
The GRE is a prerequisite for entering the admission process regardless of the field you choose to study. However, some specialized courses have different requirements such as:
- MCAT for students who want to enter medical programs
- LSAT for students who want to study law
- MCAT for studies that want to pursue management studies
Other conditions for which the GRE may waive are:
- An excellent GPA. GPA 3.0 or higher
- An additional degree
- Relevant professional experience or work experience in a field other than that of studies
If you enjoyed reading this “Study in the US Without GRE” blog, be sure to check out our other blogs:
Get Personalized Expert Advice
Get Personalized Expert Advice