Thanks to the newly introduced student visa program, students applying to Canadian universities can now expect a faster visa processing time. Influenced by June 8, 2018, Immigration, Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and Refugees launched a new Student Direct Stream Canada (SDS) program to help students from India, the Philippines, China and Vietnam obtain visas faster . The SDS program is rumored to replace the SPP, the previous student visa system that also allowed for a faster immigration process.
Before proceeding with an SDS visa in Canada, you must have a basic understanding of Certain Learning Institutions (DLIs) and Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GICs).
See: Why study in Canada?
What is a Designated Educational Institution (DLI). SDS Canada Visa?
A DLI is a university, school, or college that has been approved by a provincial or regional authority to admit international students. In Canada, DLI covers all public universities, colleges and major private universities and colleges. As a result, if you are applying for a study permit, you will need a letter of acceptance from a DLI.
Be aware that only DLIs are allowed to hire students abroad. Non-DLIs are not authorized to admit foreign students.
What exactly is a GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate)?
GIC is a time investment in Canada that offers a guaranteed rate of return.
To put it another way, if you are an Indian student interested in studying in Canada with Student Direct Stream Canada, you will need to open a Canadian online bank account at one of the recognized banks. Once your account is created, the bank will place your GIC in a student or investment account that you will only have access to when you arrive in Canada. It will release your payments only when your identity is verified when you arrive in the country. While you may receive a one-time payment on arrival, the rest of the money is distributed monthly or twice a week for a period of 10 to 12 months.
Recommended reading: Best SOP Samples for Student Visa in Canada
Remember that the bank from which you buy your GIC must provide you with one or more of the following:
- Certificate from GIC
- Confirmation letter, confirmation of the Investment Balance and confirmation of the Investment Directions
- Each GIC is verified by the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada), removing the possibility of financial document fraud. The SDS does not require any additional financial documentation to prove to the IRCC that the student has sufficient cash to cover his / her tuition and living expenses.
The banks that offer GIC in India are | Student Direct Stream Canada
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
- SBI Canada
- HSBC Bank of Canada
See: How much does it cost to study in Canada?
What are the SDS Canada Visa Eligibility requirements?
To apply for a study permit through SDS, you must meet certain requirements, such as:
- Admission by a recognized post-secondary education institution (DLI)
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) 10,000 CAD paid for the first year of your training
- A minimum IELTS score of 6 without a belt of less than 6 or a TEF score equal to a Canadian Language Score (CLB) of at least 7 in each TEF (Test d’évaluation de français) – proficiency test (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
Find student housing at the lowest cost by clicking on the banner on this blog!
Required documents Student Direct Stream Canada
If you meet the eligibility requirements, you must submit the following documents:
- Letter of acceptance from DLI
- Proof of payment of the tuition fee for your first year of study
- Proof of payment for Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) (certificate / certificate letter)
- TRF or TEF scorecard for IELTS
- A copy of your medical examination by a team of doctors to whom you have been referred
- An academic background that is relevant and includes all academic papers
- For students planning to study in Quebec, there is an additional CAQ requirement.
Learn about: The scoring system in Canada
To summarize, here are some key points Student Direct Stream Canada:
- The time required to process a visa has been reduced to 45 days.
- Every college and institution with a recognized DLI is covered by SDS, giving students more options.
- A GIC payment of $ 10000
- Payment of the entire first year of tuition
- The medical examination must be completed one week before the application is submitted.
- Each module must have an IELTS score of 6.
The Student Direct Stream Canada The program seems to be a breath of fresh air for Indian students, who can now expect a faster visa, more options and job and public relations opportunities.
If you liked reading this blog Student Direct Stream Canada then make sure you check out our other informative blogs linked below!