A Guide On The Different Types Of Degrees In The UK

Cheapest MBBS Colleges Abroad’

The UK, as we all know, attracts a large number of international students to its renowned universities every year. However, most students are unaware of the UK education system and are often confused when deciding which universities or degrees are right for them. Degrees awarded by British universities may differ from those awarded by universities in other countries, so let’s discuss the most common types of degrees in the UK.

Fundamental Lessons

Basic courses are one-year undergraduate courses that can help you prepare to start your university studies with ease. You can choose a core course to enhance your English language skills, familiarize yourself with the UK school system, master the basics of technical areas or perhaps even learn the benefits of STEM training.

Degree Degrees

The degrees are undergraduate that you can follow immediately after finishing high school. These degrees are usually three years in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Some courses allow you to complete a degree in four years, including one year off. This extra year will allow you to gain work experience or spend a year abroad. In contrast to England, Wales and Northern Ireland, Bachelor degrees in Scotland take four years.

Bachelor degrees are usually awarded in the following areas:

  • Bachelor of Arts (BA)
  • Bachelor of Science (BSc)
  • Bachelor of Education (BEd)
  • Engineering Degree (BEng)
  • Law Degree (LLB)
  • Degree Certificate (GradCert)


The master’s degree is a master’s degree that comes after an undergraduate degree. These degrees focus more closely on a specific field of study. After completing your master’s degree, you will be able to receive in-depth information and create specific talents needed to thrive in the area of ​​your choice.

Postgraduate courses in the UK usually last one year, however you can complete them in two years by including job placement options in your program to gain professional experience.

If you want to start working right away for a master’s degree, you can enroll in a comprehensive master’s degree program. You can complete both your bachelor’s and master’s degrees in four to five years if you do it this way.

Postgraduate courses can also be divided into two types: teaching postgraduate and research postgraduate. In a postgraduate course taught, you will take regular courses for the first half of your course and conduct research for the second semester.

Among the different types of degrees in the UK, common types of postgraduate degrees include:

  • Completed postgraduate
  • Master of Arts (MA)
  • Master of Science (MSc)
  • Master of Engineering (MEng)
  • Master of Research (MRes)
  • Master of Laws (LLM)
  • Master of Business Administration (MBA)


types of degrees in the United Kingdom

Once you have your master’s degree, you can continue your doctorate. To obtain a PhD, you must propose an original research topic, conduct the study, and write a thorough dissertation on the topic. Compared to other types of degrees in the UK, a doctorate usually takes three to four years to complete.

Doctoral degrees usually awarded include:

  • Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
  • Higher doctorates
  • New Route PhD Degrees
  • Professional Doctors

Other basic qualifications

Single Honors

A single degree of distinction focuses on a specific topic. You can attend additional modules as elective courses in your course.

Common Discriminations

You will be able to study a variety of disciplines if you pursue a dual degree degree. The foundation creates combined degrees incorporating many related topics.

Short courses, certificates and diplomas are also available at UK universities at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.

Supreme National Certificate

A Senior National Certificate (HNC) is a one-year undergraduate degree corresponding to the first year of university. It is a level 4 practical certificate obtained by students who wish to be trained for a specific job or to pass the second year of degree.

Higher National Diploma

A Higher National Diploma (HND) is a two-year level 5 certificate comparable to the first two years of a degree. It is similar to an HNC. This professional certificate is intended for students who want to develop practical skills or enter the third year of a degree upon completion.

Higher Education Diploma

A Higher Education Diploma (DipHE) is a Level 5 certification equivalent to an HND or two years of undergraduate study. Learning will be more mental than practical and getting a DipHE will allow you to go into the final year of a degree.

Conversion courses

A conversion course is suitable for any student interested in changing jobs. It is a postgraduate qualification that allows you to study a subject that was not part of your undergraduate degree. Most degrees are taught and are compressed undergraduate degree publications. Students also take conversion courses in order to continue their education at the postgraduate level.

Thank you for reading this blog Types of degrees in the United Kingdom. If you want to read more, here are some blogs you might be interested in –

Get Personalized Expert Advice

Get Personalized Expert Advice

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.